Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Creatively Unemployed: Creating Your Own Sunlight

Today I spoke with Ebony, of my fellow creatives. She, like me, was freed from the shackles of her corporate job. However, her finances are telling her that she has to start applying for work ASAP. She said, as she surfs for jobs, her neck hurts. She gets sick about it!
I know what she means. She spoke with disdain about her old cubical- a space with no access to sunlight. The only offices with sunlight were for the big wigs, as if to say that if you didn't have an office, you weren't important enough to have access to the sun! It made me think of all the ills of my old job and the job I had recently applied for.
Not too long ago, I applied for an administrative assistant job. The pay would have been okay and it would have been part-time. I had been sick about it for weeks after my two interviews, wondering if I'd gotten it. Today, I got the generic email telling me that I hadn't. As I read it, I realized that I hadn't been sick hoping I'd get the job- I was sick because I subconsciously hoped I wouldn't!
Something about the restraints of middle management supervised jobs makes a creative person want to crawl under the table and cry! Those hours you are working towards something that is not yours could be spent doodling and saving the world!
Cheers to those of us that are taking charge of their sunlight allotment:)