Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Purpose

Today I spoke with a friend of mine and gave her an update on my life since leaving my old job. And she told me that she was happy that I was living my purpose.
I have heard this phrase before, but I have never been altogether sure what it means. Like my Youtube inspiration Andrea Lewis, I was a little confused. It is even hard for me to put into words as I type. But I can give you symptoms of living your purpose based on what I have experienced over the past two months.


  1. You aren't as stressed- There is a saying that loosely states that if you are working doing something you love, you will never have to work a day in your life. I have found that since I am now working for myself, which I love, I am not as stressed. I believe that it is impossible to be completely stress-free, but I can totally tell the difference between now and when I was "creatively corporate" as I like to call it.
  2. You have more energy- I have never been a ball of energy. Even as a kid, I would rather chill with my mom on the couch then go outside and play. But as an adult, not working for myself completely, I found myself consistently drained, no matter how much sleep I got. The drama and the annoyances and the nonsense and living with feeling unappreciated just took it all out of me. Now, I wake up super early, ready to start making things happen for myself.
  3. There is clarity and certainty- When I was creatively corporate, I felt like my life was moving anywhere the wind blew it. Maybe next year I would still have a job, maybe next Tuesday I would be canned and living in a box. But now that I live on purpose, I am certain  that the universe has something great for me and I am clear on the plan of action for my future. Sure, there has to be room for plan Bs and life changes, but I no longer fear like I am just the mercy of the powers that be. 
I have never been super into all things inspirational. I always felt like inspirational advice and instruction was just a fancy way of saying SCAM. I guess you can see that I have not always been the most optimistic. But there is something to living on purpose, I promise. Need help getting started? Visit Andrea Lewis's here.