Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Self-Esteem and the Adorable Chub

Yesterday, I was telling Lauren that I wished that I had self-esteem.
I had it once, you know. But it took me almost my whole youth to build it. Thirteen years of self-esteem classes and etiquette courses and learning to ignore rude remarks. By the time I entered college, my self-esteem was so high that I literally thought I was the shit, even though it was clear that I was far from it. But that is the point of self-esteem right?
Anywho, ish happens, and before I knew it, my self-esteem was so low that I felt like I was entering Kindergarten again. I can not believe that something that took me so long to build could fall in like a second! But as I told Lauren, I am not immediately trying to get it back. I don't have the energy to go through the rigorous exercises I had to partake in as a kid to get it. I look forward to maybe being three days shy of my 40th birthday and having my full supply again. But what I would like enough self-esteem not to cry during job interviews or when I realize that I have eaten the last cookie. The bare minimum is what I am asking for folks. Man, I wish it came in a pill.

No comments: