Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Violence Against Women

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed how it has become OK to be violent towards women?
I mean, hitting girls, I'm sure, has been a practice since the beginning of time. But it was clear that it was socially unacceptable. Now I feel like, when a woman gets hit, the first question is, "What did she do?" What can you do?!
I was always told by my Mama that it was never OK for a man to hit me. Hence my surprise when she took Chris Brown's side after he straight up WHOOPED Rihanna's ass! The radio airwaves were full of people just sayin' crazy stuff like, "Well...island women are crazy...she did something to make him go off...she should have left him alone...I heard she gave him HERPES!" Everyone seemed to feel sorry for Chris and the victim, the woman, became the villain.
And don't turn on your TV. Every show from SVU to CSI to NCIS features a woman weekly that has been raped, brutalized, and murdered in the worst way possible. And as the case is being solved, it is usually revealed that the victim was a secret prostitute, drug dealer, or con artist, making her attack or murder justified.
But we can also look at verbal or behavioral disrespect. That has become OK too. I followed the whole Tiger Woods fiasco with my mom. As you know, his ex-wife got a HUGE settlement. Anywho, my mom hinted that she felt she was undeserving because she used to be a nanny or something. Um, he cheated on her, admittedly, over 200 times, putting her life in danger! And at some point it went from his infidelity to her being a gold digger from the jump, wanting his money, thus excusing his actions!
Sorry if it seems like I am preaching. I kind of am. I can't put it any simpler than that as a girl, I don't enjoy being dumped on or watching a fellow sister (regardless of race) being dumped on either. But I feel it will only get worst, for somewhere along the line, dumping on women has become a pass time.
That is all.

No comments: