Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hater by Blood, Not Relation

As you all know, I often wrestle with the unfortunate fact that I am a hater. But I realized that, much like my breath taking presence, being a hater is not my fault: it's hereditary.
My cousin Steph is engaged. She is gong to marry a guy that, I gotta be honest here, gets on my nerves. But he is a nice guy and he loves her and all that good stuff, so they have decided to tie the knot. I have to say that I was a little surprised to hear the news, seeing that my cousin just graduated grad school, but whatever. Mozeltoff right? Wrong.
When I went to Chicago, she showed me pics of her wedding dress and told me the scoop of where she thinks she is going to hold the wedding. I could not wait to go home and share the news with my family, but when I told them everything, I was met with hard faces.
"She isn't having the wedding at the church?" You see, my grandpa was a minister before he passed...WHEN WE WERE KIDS! Why would she have it there? They also were not too happy with the fact that they are going to move in together before they get married. I thought my Aunty Lara was joking when she asked if they were undergoing premarital counseling.
I sat there with my mouth open. When did they become such traditionalists?! My Aunty G is divorced. My mom has had FOUR kids out of wedlock, and my Aunty Lara is a case study of being a Black single cougar! I have known my family my whole life, and I really was not aware that we had such conservative views.
Then it dawned on me: they were hatin'! My 20 something year old cousin is getting married, and they are over 40 and single. So now I know the source of my problem. I have already admitted it myself. Hopefully now I can get the help I need to get over this sickness.

No comments: