Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Occupational Hazard

Today Connie was off work, so we had lunch and went to Party City to look for Halloween costumes. I was shocked to see that it was packed in the place. I was under the impression that the Chrisitians had killed Halloween by now. They were trying hard to when I was a kid.
Any who, the place was packed wall-to-wall with young women looking for whore-ish outfits to wear to the club for the holiday and kids running around with masks on. Connie wants to be the devil, and found this really cute ear, tail, and pitch fork set. I want to be a witch, but, since my head and afro are so HUGE, I could not fit any of the hats.
This is just an occupational hazzard for the big girl. We often have to make our own costumes because there are rarely any available that fit us. So we either show up at the party in a one size fits all mask of some sort or get fed up and don't participate. Some curvies will SQUEEZE into what ever costume comes in an XL, usually the Dorthy-Wizzard of Oz dress. Bad choice.
As you all know, I have been fat forever. As a kid, my granny always put my outfits together because I was too fat for kid costumes and too young to go trick-or-treating as a sexy maid. So yes, I am hip to the Halloween game. So you can only imagine how heart-broken I was as I watched a plus-size teen girl, undoubtedly wanting to be cute for the Halloween dance, being lead to the fatty costume section, which consisted of a weird Pirate outfit and, of course, Dorothy. No Lady Gaga. No sexy cop. Not even a cat suit.
As I left, I saw her heading to the back of the store, the wall of shame, to try on a cheap, not-so-cute Mardi Gras mask. I'm sure she will make her outfit fly, but that doesn't mean being excluded from the Halloween sexiness, the sexiness all chicas looks forward to, sucks any less.

No comments: